Google
 
Web Ben's Information Station

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Gentoo Catalyst LiveCD Builder

I just found a means to create your own Gentoo LiveCDs. Since I'm finally getting around to building my router, and retiring the pentium 133 that has served us so well these past 4 years, I thought that the replacement should have zero moving parts.

Consequently I've spec'd the system with an 866Mhz Pentium III CPU, although I was torn between the Intel PIII and the Via C3 Nehemiah 1Ghz, 256 MB PC133 ECC RAM, a fanless Zalman CNPS6000-Cu, see below, and a Compact Flash to IDE adapter for a 128MB CF read only file system.



I'm really impressed with the great maintainability inherent in Gentoo, and so I was planning on using Gentoo as a base for the router OS.

Catalyst is the tool that you'd use to build a Gentoo LiveCD, which is what my CF filesystem will be effectively, the info about Catalyst is here:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst/catalyst-howto.xml


Here's a more in depth howto covering the entire process:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Small_Footprint_Gentoo_on_USB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home